Wednesday 5 February 2014

625. B. Ph TEXT V – 6 COMMON ERRORS



V – 6    COMMON  ERRORS

50 Common Grammar Mistakes in English – part 1

Below are some of the most common English mistakes made by ESL students, in speech and in writing. Go through the examples and make sure you understand the corrections. Then try the grammar test at the end to check your progress.
Wrong
I have visited Niagara Falls last weekend.
Right
I visited Niagara Falls last weekend.
Wrong
The woman which works here is from Japan.
Right
The woman who works here is from Japan.
  1.  
Wrong
She’s married with a dentist.
Right
She’s married to a dentist.
  1.  
Wrong
She was boring in the class.
Right
She was bored in the class.
  1.  
Wrong
I must to call him immediately.
Right
I must call him immediately.
  1.  
Wrong
Every students like the teacher.
Right
Every student likes the teacher.
  1.  
Wrong
Although it was raining, but we had the picnic.
Right
Although it was raining, we had the picnic.
  1.  
Wrong
I enjoyed from the movie.
Right
I enjoyed the movie.
  1.  
Wrong
I look forward to meet you.
Right
I look forward to meeting you.
  1.  
Wrong
I like very much ice cream.
Right
I like ice cream very much.
  1.  
Wrong
She can to drive.
Right
She can drive.
  1.  
Wrong
Where I can find a bank?
Right
Where can I find a bank?
  1.  
Wrong
I live in United States.
Right
I live in theUnited States.

  1.  
Wrong
When I will arrive, I will call you.
Right
When I arrive, I will call you.
  1.  
Wrong
I’ve been here since three months.
Right
I’ve been here for three months.
  1.  
Wrong
My boyfriend has got a new work.
Right
My boyfriend has got a new job. (or just "has a new job")
  1.  
Wrong
She doesn’t listen me.
Right
She doesn’t listen to me.
  1.  
Wrong
You speak English good.
Right
You speak English well.
  1.  
Wrong
The police is coming.
Right
The police are coming.
  1.  
Wrong
The house isn’t enough big.
Right
The house isn’t big enough.
  1.  
Wrong
You should not to smoke.
Right
You should not smoke.
  1.  
Wrong
Do you like a glass of wine?
Right
Would you like a glass of wine?
  1.  
Wrong
There is seven girls in the class.
Right
There are seven girls in the class.
  1.  
Wrong
I didn’t meet nobody.
Right
I didn’t meet anybody.
  1.  
Wrong
My flight departs in 5:00 am.
Right
My flight departs at 5:00 am.

X

Test your understanding of this English lesson

He plays tennis very well.

correctincorrect
She called to me on Sunday.

correctincorrect
We go the shopping mall every weekends.

correctincorrect
I’ve been working here for one year.

correctincorrect
I am boring in this class.

correctincorrect
I have seen her yesterday at the party.

correctincorrect
When I can see you again?

correctincorrect
Did you enjoy the concert?

correctincorrect
He’s engaged with my cousin.

correctincorrect
The teacher which works in the English department comes from Australia.

correctincorrect


X
Part 1
used forms
Using the wrong preposition
Mistakes are often made by using the wrong preposition after certain words. The following list includes the words which most often give trouble:

1 Absorbed (- very much interested) in, not at.
Don't say: The man was absorbed at his work. /
 Say: The man was absorbed in his work.



2 Accuse of, not for.
Don't say: She accused the man for stealing.
 Say: She accused the man of stealing.
Note: Charge takes with1 The man was charged with murder.

3 Accustomed to, not with.
Don't say: I'm accustomed with hot weather.
 Say: I'm accustomed to hot weather.
Note: Also used to: He is used to the heat.

4 Afraid of, not from.
Don't say: Laura is afraid from the dog.
 Say: Laura is afraid of the dog.

5 Aim at, not on or against.
Don't say: She aimed on {or against) the target.
 Say: She aimed at the target,
Mote Use the preposition at to denote direction, throw at, shout at, fire at, shoot at. Shoot (without the at) means to kill He shot a bird (= he hit and killed it)

6 Angry with, not against.
Don't say: The teacher was angry against him.
 Say: The teacher was angry with him.
Note I W e get angry with a person but at a thing He was angry at The weather 'not with the weather)
Note 2 Also annoyed with, vexed with, indignant with a person, but at a thing.

7 Anxious (= troubled) about, not for.
Don't say.'They're anxious for his health.
 Say: They're anxious about his health.
Note Anxious meaning wishing very much lakes for Parents are anxious for their children's success.

8 Arrive at, not to.
Don't say: We arrived to the village at night.
Say:: We arrived at the village at night.
Note Use arrive in with countries a n d large cities. Mr Smith has arrived in London (or New York. India, etc )

9 Ashamed of, not from.
Don't say: He's now ashamed from his conduct.
Say: He's now ashamed of his conduct.
Note it isn't correct to use ashamed of meaning shy Ashamed means feeling shame or guilt about something. Shy means feeling nervous with someone Instead of saying1 I'm ashamed (or shamed) of my teacher, say I'm shy of my teacher

10 Believe in, not to.
Don't say: We believe to God.
 Say: We believe in God.
Note: To believe in means to have faith in. To believe (without the in) means to regard something as true: / believe everything he says.

11 Boast of or about, not for.
Don't say: James boasted for his strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

647. PRESENTATION SKILLS MBA I - II

PRESENTATION  SKILLS MBA   I - II There are many types of presentations.                    1.       written,        story, manual...